Thursday, March 22, 2012

And I Just Kept Running

     Ever have one of those days where you want to watch a specific movie?  Yeah, I got one of those.  It was a bad case of I-really-want-to-watch-Forrest-Gump-Tonight.  And I realized when you have these urges, you don’t let go of it.  You go for it and do it.  Or in my case, you find it and you watch.

     I love Forrest Gump.  It’s definitely one of my favorite films of all time.  This was probably my 7th time watching the film, and I still love it.  I consider it to be THE most epic love story.  I'd like to believe that there is a Jenny out there for all of us - you just got to be patient and just keep running.  You don't stop running... because if you stop, your Jenny is probably running off with the wrong man in the wrong direction.  You keep running straight and you might catch up to your Jenny, instead of just waiting around for her to walk into your life.  You never know what happens in life, she might never end up coming to you.  One of my favorite lines in the film is when Forrest says, "Me and Jenny goes together like peas and carrots."  Peas and carrots just don't come together.  Things happen.  It happens.  They happen.  Love happens.  "I'm not a smart man... but I know what love is."

     We're all at that age.  Where we want to understand this thing called love and have someone to share it with.  There are times when the process of liking someone has to involve a series of wise decisions, and appropriate words stitched together with the right amount of weight on the meaning.  But then there's the other side of the shadow where it's all about just believing.  Believing in oneself, believing in one's heart that he/she likes the other, believing that it'll work out.  I read something that made me smile and laugh, the blunt words carried themselves so heavily and deeply into my heart... maybe because I can relate.  It said, "When I get in your car I want to kiss you and say, 'There you are! I am so glad to see you.  You've been on my mind for weeks!' But I'm sure I will just smile and say, 'Hello.'"  I like Forrest Gump, because I can relate to him.

     Forrest Gump.  Brilliantly written.  Brilliantly directed.  Brilliantly acted.  All in all – Brilliant.

Jenny Curran: 
Were you scared in Vietnam?
Forrest Gump: Yes.  Well, I-I don't know.  Sometimes it would stop raining long enough for the stars to come out... and then it was nice. It was like just before the sun goes to bed down on the bayou.  There was always a million sparkles on the water... like that mountain lake.  It was so clear, Jenny, it looked like there were two skies one on top of the other.  And then in the desert, when the sun comes up, I couldn't tell where heaven stopped and the earth began.  It's so beautiful.
Jenny Curran: I wish I could've been there with you.
Forrest Gump: You were.

No comments:

Post a Comment